Monday, July 28, 2014

What Summer and I Have in Common

Tonight I did some quick math. If summer  lasts three months, and people live to be about 90 years old, then both summer and I are about one third over. Yes, I said to myself, and the new-ness of summer has worn off; in fact, it seems a little fatigued.  But we all know it still has a lot to offer. Sure, the grasses are mature, headed out, and turning golden; but the leaves aren't changing yet. Garden harvest is just beginning. And baskets full of green beans and juicy ripe tomatoes certainly don't speak "has been".  Same with me- I may be a little fatigued and starting to look mature, but I'm just getting into real production, so to speak. This is how my thoughts were rolling along as I emptied the scraps out to the chickens. And then I got back into the house and I started to share my line of thinking with Jay. He, bless his heart, said something like, "yeah, the beauty is pretty much over..." Yes, he really said that! And when I put my hands on my hips and started flashing daggers out of my eyes, he said, "I wasn't talking about you!" Well ok, but he was agreeing that summer and I are the same age, and he was going to elaborate on the similarities.... I forgave him. I'm feeling pretty comfortable in my skin, even though it's definitely not, y'know, twenty-five anymore. 
And, speaking of things that aren't new anymore- the swimming pool we bought for the girls two months ago has been well used. The inflatable ring at the top needs repairing; it won't stay inflated anymore. I've tried so hard to keep the water clean, but, alas, it's a full time job,and I have laundry and dishes to do too. But walking around in a circle, screening out pine needles and grass with a pool net is a very zen-ish thing to do. Just so you know.... If you ever need calming you're welcome to come take a turn at cleaning the pool.  
The girls have two more days of swimming lessons left. I hope ever so badly that they pass level one. They've worked hard at it, and have finally learned to go under the water and blow bubbles. I think that is the main requirement for level one. One day they were scared, and then suddenly it clicked, and now they're little fishes. :)
What's a blog post without pictures? I'll post a few that I'm particularly proud of. 

Jay helps Olivia rig up her new fishing pole after supper. I think this picture is really about the little boy in the background absorbing what happens in the lives of "big people."





Olivia works on her modeling career. Just kidding. I told her to act like I wasn't there. 



Maybe it's just little girl- I didn't teach them to pout for the camera! I always grin widely. 



There were a few forest fires mucking up our atmosphere. Makes for good color!

He looks regal. The truth is, he thinks he's a dog. He came with us on our walk and it wore him out. He plopped down and practiced his kingly airs every chance he got. 

There goes the storage (and my lovely shade plants). To be replaced with a non rotten, slightly larger model.  Hopefully it will house our stuff and a few woodworking tools. Tools to eventually help with a new addition on the house.  And tools to start a hobby adventure, called Bareroot Handcrafted. 

After the storm that put us out of power for three days. This photo is not edited. It was a stormy dusk, and the picture was taken through the windshield. 



Wildlife refuge. 


Daddy let me drive. 

You're welcome for the update. :)

3 comments:

  1. This is a nice posting. Awesome sweet girl pictures there. You framing a few of those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the comment Jay made about beautify is almost all gone, had me totally laughing out loud! I could just picture y'all having this conversation! haha! I hope the girls do well and can pass to the next level on their swimming, I'm so proud of them! Also, you used the word zen...I like that. :) And then the pictures....you do an amazing job! Of course the beautiful kid pictures are precious and you got some really good ones of them! The nature pictures are beautiful as well, you have a real eye for capturing nature in all it's beauty. Great post.

    ReplyDelete